American muffins are pretty irresistible. Unfortunately, most varieties of muffin are packed full of calories and laden with unhealthy fat. So if you are watching your weight, they are not exactly the best choice for breakfast. Sometimes, however, we all deserve a little treat from time to time. The following muffin recipe may not fat-free, but it is a lot lower in calories than most other types of sweet muffin and the fat content is not quite as disastrous. It is also suitable for the lactose intolerant and vegans.
- 75g wholemeal plain flour
- 50g of self-raising white flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 150g fruit muesli
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 150ml dairy-free milk
- 1 x egg
How To Make Warm Muesli Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C / Gas Mark 6.
- Place nine muffin cases in a muffin tin
- Sift both portions of flour into a large mixing bowl and add the fruit muesli, brown sugar and baking powder. Mix together.
- Pour the milk, sunflower oil and egg into a bowl or jug and blend with a fork. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the muffin mixture between the nine muffin cases.
- Place the muffin tray in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes. Your muffins should be well risen and feel firm when you touch them, but to make sure they are thoroughly cooked insert a fork into the middle of one of them. If it comes out clean, they are cooked. If there are traces of muffin mixture left on the fork, place the muffins back in the oven for a few more minutes.
The Nutritional Information
A regular blueberry muffin contains around 377 calories and 16g of fat, 2.7g of which is saturated fat. Warm muesli muffins contain 251 calories per serving and the total fat content is 13.4g, of which 1.7g is saturated fat.
Served warm, these delicious muffins are perfect for breakfast. The fruit muesli gives them an extra healthy kick and as long as you don’t eat all nine together, they won’t do your diet too much damage. They also make a tasty mid-morning snack. And if your kids normally refuse to eat any form of fruit on the basis that it’s ‘healthy’, give them one of these muffins and see how long it takes them to wolf it down.
(Image by Piyato at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)
Have you downloaded our great FREE report yet? Plenty of other dieters have and they are now using this report to overcome the 5 most common obstacles which could stand in their way of losing weight. Click on the image below to find out how you too can overcome the obstacles holding you back and start your journey to the new slimmer, healthier you today…